Sunday, November 3, 2013

My Solitary Travel Dessert 2: Chasing Mr. Cherry Blossom in Jinhae in South Korea

Born and raised in a tropical country, Philippines, the different experience of Spring never fails to fascinate me. If people from the other side of the world make plans to explore the tropical charm of the pristine beaches in my country, Spring is also something that I look forward to in the other side of the world .  I am such a fan of Spring!  I heart it so much that only the presence of the blooming silky buds of Cherry Blossom can raise my heartbeat uphigh just like a teeny happens to bump upon his crush.  It doesn't matter whereelse in the world but it seems all throughout my existence in the universe, a year of Cherry Blossom experience will always be in my diary.   

a blooming flower in Jinhae
I started chasing Spring in South Korea in May 2010 but barely made it.  That was late Spring and the blooming flowers (not particulary Cherry Blossom) were still around radiating the place with different vibrant and pastel colors and various shapes a flower can describe of  (though I can't seem to smell the fragrance).  The sights of those flowers had served as a backdrop of my photo memories.  That introduction to Spring has left a spot in my mind and heart that I won't stop until I hold a cherry blossom tree.  A year after, I met Mr. Cherry Blossom in Beijing.  It was a short, three-day affair that forever hold a precious space in my heart.

I thought I would never see Mr. Cherry Blossom again  I planned my 10-day solitary travel with main reason of chasing Mr. Snowman and play with him personally.  I fulfilled that dream but as I travelled around South Korea, Mr. Cherry Blossom kept on peeping.  

When I was Jeju on the 6th day of my 10-Day-Solitary Travel, the arrays of Cherry Blossom trees were starting to bloom everywhere.  It was an early signs of Spring for me and  wonder would there'll be more in Jinhae.  I was set to fly to Busan on my 7th day and Jinhae is just more than an hour bus trip.  I put that thought aside until I saw the blooming trees in Busan.

Indeed, only Mr. Cherry Blossom can change my meticulously organized itinerary.


The arrays of Cherry Blossom trees in Busan

the early signs of Spring in Jeju Island

On my 8th day in South Korea and my 2nd day in Busan, I woke up early to take a glimpse of the Cherry Blossom in Jinhae District in Changwon City located in Gyeongsangnam Province.  Jinhae or Chinhae is known at the Cherry Blossom country in South Korea with its emblem proudly and literally represents as the Cherry Blossom country in South Korea.

From the hostel, I took the train from Busan Station to Sasang Station, took Exit 5 and searched to most obvious landmark - buses!  Turning left from the exit is the Busan Seobu Intercity Bus Terminal.  I walked towards the ticket counter immediately and showed my ipad with "Jinhae and in Korean words". I paid KRW5,100 for a one-way-trip, took note of the Platform number, bought my breakfast from the nearby coffeshop and then went to the departure area.  The terminal is so efficient with different entrance and exits for the Departing and Arriving passengers. 

Busan Seobu Intercity Terminal

Ticket counters and trip schedules

With my ticket on hand, I looked for platform 17 as indicated in my ticket and took the first row seat at the back of the driver.  All throughout my trip in South Korea, I seemed to find my exclusive seat.


The trip took an hour with a traffic-free highway and Jinhae's streets were unexpectedly empty with few vehicles and people passing-by.  It was either I was too early of a peak hour of the morning on a Thursday or business just really starts late in Jinhae with it seemed a slow-pace-way-of-living.  I read in many blogs that traffic can be so terrible during Cherry Blossom Festival.  Well, the downside of my trip was I was a week early the festival. Cherry Blossom blooms in certain period only and reaches its peak for a week only.  It's like chasing the sand bar when its low tide.

I arrived at the very ordinary and typical town-ish terminal in Jinhae at nine in the morning.  With map on hand, I searched first for Jehwangsan Park where I can take the monorail to reach the Jinhae Observatory and where I can see the panoramic view of Jinhae. It is also the nearest one from the terminal. I read from some blogs that during the festival, people flocked the area like bees.  With long queues, many preferred to walk going up the observatory following the trail that covered with cherry blossom and other flowers that until now I can't seem to remember.


Going around the vicinity, crossing from one street to another looking up where I can see the monorail, I managed to enjoy the presence of few cherry blossom buds.  Indeed, it's not the week yet where they will be in full bloom.  The weather was just right, not too cold unlike Busan.  I liked being alone in the streets.

the array of cherry blossom trees along the street of Jinhae


Signs of Cherry Blossom Festival to bloom the week after trip
Looking around the blooming buds of Cherry Blossom tree, I accepted the fact that Spring isn't there yet.  But the fact that I was able to find Jinhae through a commuter bus from Busan was enough for me.  I planned another trip soon with more time in Busan and the nearby provinces like Changwon.  With that in mind, I decided to spend the next hour at Jehwangsan Park.


 
At past nine in the morning, I was the first visitor of the monorail. I thought they were closed with nobody around but after sometime the man came out of the door.  I asked him if I can take the monorail car to the observatory.  He was friendly enough to went inside and took the seat at the counter.  He asked if for a round trip, I answered for one way only.  I wanted to take the trail down and see how far the distance would be.  After paying KRW2,000, the same man ushered me to the monorail platform at the 3rd floor.  I thought we would be waiting for more visitors to come before we take off but he maneuvered the car and there I had the monorail car exclusively for me only!

my one-way ticket to the park

my first ever exclusive experience of a monorail - ah so that's what it feels like!




the accommodating Korea at the park
Before getting off, he mentioned some of the sights at the park and the directions of the trail down. I thanked him for being so accommodating and he went back to the monorail car.

I looked around the park.  The observatory is nestled at the center where everything else surrounding the historical structure.  Turning back, I can see the panoramic view of Jinhae.  The landscape are naturally beautiful.  It was so close to nature at the top where you can only hear the birds chipping. 

the monorail track and the stairways - two options to climb up and down the park
I went around and saw few people, mostly the older ones, doing their morning stretching and walking.  I was the only foreigner.  I went on taking pictures and setting up my tripod.  They were looking at me but I was happy providing some entertainment.  After some picture taking, there's nothing else to do so I looked for the trail going down the entrance of the park.  It was a nice walk but could be nicer if the place is fully-covered with Cherry blossoms.

Here are some of the photos of Jehwangsan Park.


the scuptured garden that welcome the passengers alighting the monorail


the observatory tower

the landmark that indeed exudes "HARMONY" at the park


with some audience watching me as I took the photo with timed camera

the trail that I chose to walk rather than taking the stairway down to the entrance of the park


the panoramic view of Jinhae at the top of the park
Before ten, I reached the entrance already.  I should have looked further the Bridge of Romance but looking at the number of cherry blossoms that I saw, I whisked the idea off and save that when I return maybe next year.


the Bridge of Romance that serves as the perfect backdrop during the Cherry Blossom Festival
From the park, I found my way back to the terminal and waited for the 10AM trip back to Busan.  My trip to Jinhae was very short but enough for me to somehow have a glimpse for another itineary to make. 


No comments: